Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- Census of Population and Housing (Decennial Census Volumes, 1790-2010, plus Special Collections)
- Census of Population and Housing data present here ranges from the most recent census to the historical decennial census conducted throughout the decades. Some of the data were scanned as an effort to make historical census information available to the public. The display of data will continue as historical census records become available.
- Historical Data and Reports from the U.S. Census Bureau
- Contains links to numerous reports and data sets containing historical data. Subjects covered include: Americans living overseas, current population survey, educational attainment, foreign-born population, foreign trade statistics, housing, income, mortality, poverty, race and ethnicity, surveys of income and program participation, tax revenue of state and local governments, urban and rural populations, and voting and registration.
- Historical Statistics of the United States, Colonial Times to 1970 / United States. Bureau of the Census. - Bicentennial ed. Washington: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census : for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1975. - 2 v; Includes bibliographical references and indexes.; House document (United States. Congress (93rd, 1st session : 1973). House) ; no. 93-78. - Call Number: REF HA202.B87 [OR ONLINE]
- Standard two-volume digest of historical statistics originally produced for the Bicentennial. Very convenient lookup tool for statistical data, now entirely online in two PDF files, one for each volume.
- Historical Statistics of the United States: Earliest Times to the Present / Susan B. Carter. - Millennial ed. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2006. - Susan B. Carter ... [et al.].; 5 v. : ill. ; 29 cm; Rev. update of: Historical statistics of the United States, colonial times to 1970. Bicentennial ed. Washington : U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census, 1975.; Includes bibliographical references and indexes.; v. 1. Population -- v. 2. Work and welfare -- v. 3. Economic structure and performance -- v. 4. Economic sectors -- v. 5. Governance and international relations. - Call Number: REF HA202.H57
- Five-volume "Millennial Edition" of this standard statistical reference is the basic starting point for all historical questions that might require the use of statistical evidence. Drawn from a wide variety of sources and comprehensive in its topical scope.
- Statistical Abstracts of the United States, 1878-2012
- Statistical Abstract data present here ranges from the most recent edition to the historical abstracts compiled throughout the decades. Some of the data were scanned as an effort to make historical abstract information available to the public. The display of data will continue as historical records become available.
- United States Historical Census Data Browser
- This site, hosted by the University of Virginia Library, provides census data for each U.S. state and county from 1790 to 1970. The information was drawn from a statistical data file created by the the Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR) [Study Number 0003, "Historical Demographic, Economic and Social Data: The United States, 1790-1970"]. The online viewing tools work best for browsing.
- Warfare and Armed Conflicts: A Statistical Reference to Casualty and Other Figures, 1500-2000, 2nd Edition / Micheal Clodfelter. - Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland, 2002. - xvi, 840 p. ; 28 cm. - Includes bibliographical references (p. 793-800) and index. - Call Number: REF D214.C54
- The major aim of this work is to enable readers to track and record, so far as possible, the casualties of four centuries of warfare. Conflicts are arranged chronologically by century, subdivided by region. Entries, ranging in length from a paragraph to a chapter, give the names and dates of conflicts, strategies and battle details, outcomes and impacts, and casualties.