Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
History of Science, Medicine and Technology Discussion List
History of Technology: Recent Books
Welcome to the Resource Guide for Technology in World History
This Guide is intended to help students in HIST 2220: Technology in World History complete assignments that require research in sources beyond the course textbook.
Each page in this Guide covers finding tools for identifying and using both secondary and primary sources in modern history, with an emphasis on materials useful for writing assignments in the course.
Your main independent assignment for the course is to write a research paper about the mpact of a particular technology in history. For the paper, you are expected to conduct research using a variety of secondary sources - and at least one primary source - and address the following questions:
- What drew you to research the technology you selected?
- What were the historical motivations for the development of that technology?
- How was the technology typical or extraordinary in its historical context?
- What challenges were faced in the development of the technology and how did various societies utilize it?
- What is there about this technology that is relevant for us today?
If you have any questions moving forward, please feel free to contact me using the information on the right. I am happy to assist you with any aspect of your assignment.
How We Got to Now: Six Innovations That Made the Modern World by Steven Johnson