Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- African American National Biography / Henry Louis Gates, and Evelyn Brooks Higginbotham. - Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2008. - editors in chief, Henry Louis Gates, Jr., Evelyn Brooks-Higginbotham.; 8 v. : ill. ; 26 cm; Includes bibliographical references and index.;. - Call Number: REF E185.96.A4466
- This eight-volume set contains 4,100 articles written by some 1,700 scholars. The subjects include individuals from all walks of life, such as politicians, sports figures, religious leaders, entertainers, writers, scientists, educators, and others. Most entries include a brief bibliography for further research.
- American National Biography / general editors, John A. Garraty, Mark C. Carnes. - New York: Oxford University Press, 1999. - 24 v.; 26 cm. - Includes bibliographical references and index. - Call Number: REF CT213.A68
- Over 17,400 lengthy biographical essays in 24 volumes. One of the best resources of its kind for American biography. Two supplement volumes have been added since the original series was published.
- American Military Leaders: from Colonial Times to the Present / John C. Fredriksen. - Santa Barbara, Calif.: Abc-Clio, 1999. - 2 v; Includes bibliographical references and index.; v. 1. A-L -- v. 2. M-Z. - Call Number: REF E181.F84
- Biographical essays covering 422 men and women. The entries are concise, with most essays ranging from one to three pages at most, and each entry includes a short bibliography.
- Biography Reference Bank
- This full-text database contains thousands of full-text biographical essays for historical and contemporary figures, drawn from a wide variety of published sources. The essays vary in length and quality, but most include substantial detail and a selected bibliography. Several entires also contain links to related resources (e.g., articles about the subject). Please note that online access to this database is restricted to currently enrolled students, faculty and staff.