1. Begin by considering the major area of research that you want to explore. For instance, technology and society.
2. Next, think about a phenomenon you've observed or would like to explore further, such as cell phone use and their effect on interpersonal relationships. * This should be more specific and can become the basis of your major research question (How has cell phone usage impacted interpersonal relationships?)
* Not sure? You may need to do some preliminary research first!
3. Identify any sub-questions that are important to answer, such as:
4. Be sure to review the assignment guidelines and always ask your professor for feedback before changing a topic mid-semester. Your professor is the ultimate resource in this step of the process.
Every great research paper starts with a good topic, but it's not always so easy to come up with one.
In other classes, you may have been given a topcic to explore... but for Senior Seminar, it will be up to you to choose a topic to pursue and a research question to answer.
While you should always work within the scope of the assignment and consult with your professor, these tips can help you find a topic that works for you: