Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- Biography Reference Bank
- This full-text database contains thousands of full-text biographical essays for historical and contemporary figures, drawn from a wide variety of published sources. The essays vary in length and quality, but most include substantial detail and a selected bibliography. Several entires also contain links to related resources (e.g., articles about the subject). Please note that online access to this database is restricted to currently enrolled students, faculty and staff.
- Dictionary of Irish Biography: From the Earliest Times to the Year 2002 / edited by James McGuire and James Quinn. - Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: Royal Irish Academy, 2009. - 9 v. ; 25 cm. - Call Number: REF CT862.D52
- A 9-volume reference containing over 9,000 signed biographical articles which describe and assess the careers of subjects in all fields of endeavour, including politics, law, religion, literature, journalism, architecture, painting, music, the stage, science, medicine, engineering, entertainment and sport.
- Dictionary of World Biography / Frank N. Magill, editor; Christina J. Moose, managing editor; Alison Aves, researcher and bibliographer. - Chicago : Fitzroy Dearborn Publishers ; Pasadena : Salem Press, 1998- . - v. : ill. ; 29 cm. - Includes bibliographical references and indexes. - Call Number: REF CT104.D54
- Volumes 5 through 9 of this series cover the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Individuals from throughout Europe are represented here, and the available essays are substantive, ranging in length from 2,000 to 3,000 words. Each biographical sketch concludes with an overview of the person's place in history and a selective annotated bibliography.
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography: In Association with the British Academy: From the Earliest Times to the Year 2000 / edited by H.C.G. Matthew and Brian Harrison. - New York: Oxford University Press, 2004. - 61 v. : ill. ; 26 cm. - Call Number: REF DA28.O95
- A 60-volume collection of more than 57,000 high-quality, specially written biographies, which describe the lives of people who shaped the history of the British Isles and beyond from the 4th century BC to the 21st century.