Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Newspapers and Other Periodicals
- Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers (BETA)
- Chronicling America is a prototype web site providing access to information about historic newspapers and select digitized newspaper pages, and is produced by the National Digital Newspaper Program. Included in the site is a full-text database providing access to pages from 25 newspapers from six states and the District of Columbia published between 1900 and 1910. The project will continue to add content until newspapers from every U.S. state are included.
- Directory of New Jersey Newspapers, 1765-1970 / edited by William C. Wright, Paul A. Stellhorn. - Trenton: New Jersey Historical Commission, 1977. - xxi, 319 p. : facsim. ; 26 cm. - Includes index. - Call Number: REF Z6952.N54D57
- A useful compilation of the newspapers published in New Jersey from the colonial period through 1970, organized by place of publication. Somewhat dated, but still a good source to use for identifying historical newspapers and the libraries that own them.
- National Digital Newspaper Program
- The National Digital Newspaper Program (NDNP), a partnership between the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) and the Library of Congress (LC), is a long-term effort to develop an Internet-based, searchable database of all U.S. newspapers with descriptive information and select digitization of historic pages. Supported by NEH, this rich digital resource will be developed and permanently maintained at the Library of Congress. An NEH grant program will fund the contribution of content from, eventually, all U.S. states and territories.
- ProQuest Newsstream
- Full-text access to newspapers and other news media from the United States, Canada, Africa, Asia, Oceania, Europe, Latin America, and the Middle East. Important titles include the Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune, The Wall Street Journal, The Times (London), The Bangkok Post, El Norte, Financial Times, The Guardian, Jerusalem Post, South China Morning Post, The Daily Telegraph, Asian Wall Street Journal, and the BBC Monitoring series of publications, plus many other major news publications.
- U.S. News Archives on the Web (News Division, Special Libraries Association)
- This directory is organized by state, focusing on newspapers that maintain archives of older content online. Where possible, the directory indicates how far back content is available, along with any costs to retrieve the full text of articles.
- The Unz Review: Content Archive of Printed Periodicals and Books
- This site, established by Ron Unz, is notable for containing a substantial collection of digitized U.S. periodicals, including many titles published during the 20th century. The collection can be browsed and searched.