Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- African American National Biography / Henry Louis Gates, and Evelyn Brooks Higginbotham. - Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2008. - editors in chief, Henry Louis Gates, Jr., Evelyn Brooks-Higginbotham.; 8 v. : ill. ; 26 cm; Includes bibliographical references and index.;. - Call Number: REF E185.96.A4466
- This eight-volume set contains 4,100 articles written by some 1,700 scholars. The subjects include individuals from all walks of life, such as politicians, sports figures, religious leaders, entertainers, writers, scientists, educators, and others. Most entries include a brief bibliography for further research.
- American National Biography / general editors, John A. Garraty, Mark C. Carnes. - New York: Oxford University Press, 1999. - 24 v.; 26 cm. - Includes bibliographical references and index. - Call Number: REF CT213.A68
- Over 17,400 lengthy biographical essays in 24 volumes. One of the best resources of its kind for 20th century Americans, although the individual must be dead to be included in the ANB. Two supplement volumes have been added since the original series was published.
- American Women Civil Rights Activists: Biobibliographies of 68 Leaders, 1825-1992 / Gayle J. Hardy. - Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland, 1993. - by Gayle J. Hardy.; Includes bibliographical references and index. - Call Number: REF JC599.U5 H273
- Each of the 68 entries in this reference focuses on one individual and includes three major sections: a chronological biography; background information; and bibliographical information (e.g., books and shorter works by and about each person, primary source materials, biographical sketches, media materials [i.e., films, slides, sound recordings], and other works such as plays). Pulls together information not otherwise available in one source. [Choice]
- Biography Reference Bank
- This full-text database contains thousands of full-text biographical essays for historical and contemporary figures, drawn from a wide variety of published sources. The essays vary in length and quality, but most include substantial detail and a selected bibliography. Several entires also contain links to related resources (e.g., articles about the subject). Please note that online access to this database is restricted to currently enrolled students, faculty and staff.