Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Bibliographies and Guides to Historical Literature
- The American Historical Association's Guide to Historical Literature / general editor, Mary Beth Norton; associate editor, Pamela Gerardi. - New York: Oxford University Press, 1995. - 2 v.; 27 cm. - Call Number: REF D20.A64
- Carefully selected books and articles covering all major topic areas in historical research. Not intended to be exhaustive; instead the editors emphasize the best and most important works published for each subject area, concentrating on writings published between 1961 and 1992. All entries contain brief, useful annotations. Should be supplemented with a search in the Book Reviews section of the Journal of American History, the American Historical Review and other journals for the period after 1992.
- The Columbia Guide to the Cold War / Michael Kort. - New York: Columbia University Press, 1998. - Includes index.; Columbia guides to American history and cultures. - Call Number: REF E744.K696
- This volume provides a basic survey of the historiography (12 p.) and major events (80 p.) of the Cold War, 1945-90, interspersed with brief discussions of common questions, from how effectively Roosevelt negotiated at Yalta to what led to the end of the Cold War. The somewhat fewer than 90 brief encyclopedia-like articles include basic (mostly U.S.) names and concepts, but omit many found in typical general encyclopedias (e.g., Zhou Enlai, Gomulka, Dubcek, Masaryk, Kadar). Most useful are the well-annotated bibliography of English-language sources, complete and handily organized by topics arranged in rough chronology, and the lists of archival and Web sources and of relevant films. [Choice]
- The History of Modern Science: A Guide to the Second Scientific Revolution, 1800-1950 / Stephan G. Brush. - Ames: Iowa State University Press, 1988. - xv, 544 p. ; 24 cm. - Includes bibliographies and index. - Call Number: REF Q125.B88
- The World History Highway: A Guide to Internet Resources / Edited by Dennis A. Trinkle, and Scott A. Merriman. - Armonk, N.Y.: M.E. Sharpe, 2002. - Includes index. - Call Number: D22.W67
- This guide to history-related Web sites covers hundreds of sites, organized into topical categories. Although a paper book has some disadvantages (no hyperlinks, can't keep up with new web sites as they appear), it does provide a good idea of the types of sites that are available and what they contain.