UpToDate is a clinical decision support database designed to provide syntheses of evidence-based research, followed by recommendations that can be acted on at the point of care.
To access UpToDate: use this link and create a personal account for yourself by selecting the "Register Now" button. Complete the required form - using your William Paterson University student email account in the "Email" field - and make sure to retain the Username and Password you create for yourself. Once your account is created you can use UpToDate both on and off-campus.
- What’s New — The “What’s New” notifications provide clinicians with a summary of, in the editors’ view, the most important new information added to the medical literature in recent weeks to topics they’ve previously read.
- Practice Changing UpDates — This section highlights specific recommendations and/or updates the editors anticipate may change clinical practice. UpToDate will notify clinicians when a topic they’ve previously read has been impacted by a Practice Changing UpDate.
- Patient Education — UpToDate includes more than 1,500 corresponding patient information topics, plus more than 1,000 in universal Spanish. Clinicians can review this information with patients in the exam room, print out as handouts, or send via email.
- Integrated Patient Education — UpToDate and Lexicomp have collaborated to provide comprehensive, embedded, and integrated patient education solutions for EMRs and other healthcare applications.
- Search Features — UpToDate streamlines search capabilities by enabling queries and navigation in multiple languages.
- Graphics Search — This search engine feature allows subscribers to search tens of thousands of pictures, charts, movies, illustrations and more – all without ever leaving UpToDate.
- Medical Calculators — UpToDate includes calculators to help you quickly and accurately calculate many different medical measurements.
- Feedback — Because some of the most important contributions to UpToDate come from clinician subscribers, it incorporates a feedback button that allows you to submit questions and comments to the editors.
- Drugs and Drug Interactions — Clinicians can quickly check for possible drug-to-drug and drug-to-herb interactions with the UpToDate drug interactions program (in partnership with Lexicomp).
- Link to Full-Text Articles — Provides convenient links to full text of referenced articles where these are available through the Library's subscriptions.
- Table of Contents - View specialties and other features of UpToDate.
If you have questions or need further assistance with UpToDate, please contact Nancy Weiner using the contact information at right.