Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Search Terms for Primary Sources
To find primary sources in library catalogs, the following search terms - coupled with your subject terms - are among the most useful:
- caricatures and cartoons
- case studies
- comic books, strips
- description and travel
- documentary films
- notebooks, sketchbooks
- personal narratives
- pictorial works
- public opinion
- songs and music
- Cheng Library Catalog
- Contents of the Cheng Library's collection.
- PALS Plus Catalog
- PALS Plus is 20 public and academic libraries located in Passaic and Essex Counties, NJ. Its members share library and computer resources to better serve the information needs of local communities. This is the PALS Plus catalog.
- Search other library catalogs in New Jersey.
- New Jersey State Library Catalog
- The State Library's catalog has the most complete collection of New Jersey government documents, many of which pertain to suburban issues.
- WorldCat is a huge union catalog of libraries in the U.S. and other countries; it contains over 2.1 billion records.
Some Other Sources of Books
- Google Books (Advanced Book Search Screen)
- Access to thousands of titles in the public domain (i.e., with copyright dates of 1922 or earlier).
- Hathi Trust Digital Library
- HathiTrust is a partnership of major research institutions and libraries working to ensure that the cultural record is preserved and accessible long into the future. There are more than sixty partners in HathiTrust, and membership is open to institutions worldwide. The HathiTrust Digital Library brings together the immense collections of partner institutions in digital form, preserving them securely to be accessed and used today, and in future generations. A substantial part of the collections accessible through the digital library are in the public domain and accessible, but not all of it, so be aware of this if you search it.
- Internet Archive: E-Books and Texts
- Over 3 million scanned texts public domain, including many titles and a substantial collection of U.S. Government Documents (over 85,000 items).