The American Historical Association's Guide to Historical Literature / general editor, Mary Beth Norton; associate editor, Pamela Gerardi. - New ork: Oxford University Press, 1995. - 2 v.; 27 cm.
Call Number: REF D20.A64 Carefully selected books and articles covering all major topic areas in historical research. Not intended to be exhaustive; instead the editors emphasize the best and most important works published for each subject area, concentrating on writings published between 1961 and 1992. All entries contain brief, useful annotations. Should be supplemented with a search in the Book Reviews section of the American Historical Review and other journals for the period after 1992.
Cambridge History of Latin America / edited by Leslie Bethell. - Cambridge [Cambridgeshire]; New York : Cambridge University Press, 1984-1995. - 11 v.: ill. ; 24 cm. - Includes bibliographies and indexes.
Call Number: REF F1410.C1834
Excellent multi-volume narrative and analytical histories covering the full range of historical inquiry in the region. Contains contributions from dozens of distinguished historians. The chapters effectively synthesize previous scholarship and summarize major themes, and each volume includes useful bibliographical essays.
Country Studies/Area Handbook Series (Federal Research Division, Library of Congress)
This site contains all currently available titles in the Country Studies/Area Handbook Series originally produced in print by the Federal Research Division of the Library of Congress (and sponsored by the U.S. Department of the Army). Each title "presents a description and analysis of the historical setting and the social, economic, political, and national security systems and institutions" of a country or region. The titles are not continuously updated, so in all cases the date of publication should be consulted for currency of information. Handbooks are available for the following countries covered within the scope of this course:
- Argentina (1985) - Call Number: REF F2808.A6537
- Belize - (1992)Call Number: REF F2368.G893
- Bolivia - (1989)Call Number: REF F3308.B685
- Brazil - (1998)Call Number: REF F2508.B846
- Chile - (1994)Call Number: REF F3058.C5223
- Colombia - (1988)Call Number: REF F2258.C64
- Costa Rica - (1970)Call Number: REF F1543.B66
- Dominican Republic -(1989)Call Number: REF F1934.D64
- Ecuador - (1989)Call Number: REF F3708.E383
- El Salvador - (1988)Call Number: REF F1483.B55
- Guatemala - (1983)Call Number: REF F1463.G944
- Honduras - (1993)Call Number: REF F1503.H75
- Mexico - (1996)Call Number: REF F1208.M5828
- Nicaragua - (1993)Call Number: REF F1523.N569
- Panama - (1987)Call Number: REF F1563.P323
- Paraguay - (1988)Call Number: REF F2668.P24
- Peru - (1992)Call Number: REF F3408.P4646
- Uruguay - (1990)Call Number: REF F2708.U855
- Venezuela - (1990)Call Number: REF F2308.W4
The Handbook is a selective annotated bibliography of scholarly works on Latin America. Edited by the Hispanic Division of the Library of Congress, the print version of the Handbook alternates annually between the social sciences and the humanities (history is included in the Humanities volumes). Works reviewed include books, articles from over 2,800 journals, book chapters, and conference papers in various disciplines. In addition to the print edition, the Library of Congress has now made all volumes of the Handbook available online in a searchable database. http://lcweb2.loc.gov/hlas/hlashome.html
Handbook of Latin American Studies. - Austin: University of Texas Press. - v. 24 cm.no. - 1935- .
Call Number: REF Z1605.H26
Excellent annotated bibliography for Latin American studies includes over 100 pages covering Latin American history, plus related sections identifying major resources for biography, economics, geography, politics, and related topics. A great starting point for research.
Latin America and the Caribbean: A Critical Guide to Research Sources / edited by Paula H. Covington ; David Block ... [et al.], associate editors. - New York: Greenwood Press, 1992. - xvi, 924 p. ; 29 cm. - Includes indexes.
Call Number: REF F1408.L387
Latin American Studies: A Basic Guide to Sources, 2nd ed., rev. and enl. / Robert A. McNeil, editor, Barbara G. Valk, associate editor ; [contributing editors, Carole Travis, Roger R. Macdonald, Ann E. Wade ; contributors, Laurence Hallewell, et al.]. - Metuchen, N.J.: Scarecrow Press, 1990. - xi, 458 p. ; 23 cm. - Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
Unlike Latin America and the Caribbean: A Critical Guide to Research Sources above, this bibliography is organized according to resources types (e.g., bibliographies, dictionaries, periodicals, etc.) rather than subjects, but it is still a very useful guide to information sources for historical research.
Call Number: REF Z1601.L324
Bibliographic guide to works by and about this important international organization includes annotated entries for books, government publications, and articles; English language publications are emphasized, although some Spanish-language publications are included. Chapters cover reference and general works, history, major events, Pan-Americanism, the role of the OAS in the politics of the western hemisphere, and specific issues.
The Organization of American States
/ David Sheinin. - New Brunswick, [N.J.], U.S.A.: Transaction Publishers, 1996. - xxiii, 209 p. ; 23 cm - Includes indexes.
Call Number: REF F1402.S5
World Bibliographical Series (ABC-CLIO) A series of book published by ABC-CLIO providing annotated bibliographies of English-language materials about the countries of the world. Most volumes include useful sections on history, population, labor, politics and government, and other relevant topics. Several volumes are available as electronic books through netLibrary (which requires that you create a personal account), and links for these are included below. The Cheng Library currently offers titles in this series for the following countries:
- Brazil [electronic resource], Rev. ed. / John P. Dickenson, compiler. - Oxford, Eng.; Santa Barbara, Calif.: Clio Press, 1997. - xxviii, 244 p. : map ; 22 cm.
- Cuba [electronic resource] / Jean Stubbs, Lila Haines and Meic F. Haines, compilers. - Oxford, Eng.; Santa Barbara, Calif.: Clio Press, 1996. - xxx, 337 p.,  leaf of plates : map ; 23 cm.
- Nicaragua / Ralph Lee Woodward, Jr., compiler; edited by Sheila R. Herstein. - Oxford, England; Santa Barbara, Calif.: Clio Press, 1983. - xxiii, 254 p. : map ; 23 cm. - Includes index.
Call Number: REF Z1481.W66 92.